Once you’ve defined and created an audience in GWI, you may wish to add them to a digital advertising campaign. To make this process much easier for you, it’s now possible to automatically replicate your audiences and push them to Meta platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and more), as well as TikTok and Google ad platforms from inside the GWI platform.
There are two ways to push an audience into your chosen advertising platform:
- Open up the Audiences tab and click the three dots next to the audience you’d like to add to your ad campaign. Next, select ‘push to ad platform’ from the dropdown menu.
- Alternatively, click into an audience and select 'push to ad platform’ in the top-right of the screen. This is also possible if you have just built the audience, however you’ll be prompted to save the audience if you haven’t done so yet, before clicking ‘push to ad platform’.
On the next page, click the tab corresponding to your chosen platform(s) to replicate your GWI audience there. For each GWI audience attribute you’ll see up to 5 suggested mappings to the target platform taxonomy. You may choose one or more of the top 5 suggestions from the ordered shortlist, or choose to stick with the pre-ticked, top suggestion.
If none of the suggestions meet your needs then you may leave all unticked. When pushing into the advertising platform, any unticked attributes will not be included.
If you would like to edit your original audience, click ‘edit audience’ in the top-right to return to Audience Builder and change/add/remove attributes.
After this, sign in to your chosen ad platform, and select the account you wish to push your audience to.
Now choose to create a new campaign, or push to existing. If creating a new campaign, select your campaign objective/type, and (optionally) name the campaign and voila - you’re done!
You’ll see a green banner at the bottom with the option to ‘open campaign’ in your target platform - click here to be redirected to the campaign inside your ad platform account.
What data does the ad platforms integration work with? Will it work with all GWI data?
Yes! The ability to push your GWI audience into an ad campaign works across all data sets. So whether you have GWI Work, GWI USA, or even custom data in your account, you’ll be able to start replicating your audiences within any of the supported ad platforms.
Does the mapping into ad platforms use personal data (PII)?
No, the mapping into the ad platforms is based on a semantic match between the GWI taxonomy (AKA our questions and data points) and the equivalent taxonomy found within the ad platform. No personal data is used for this mapping, or shared between platforms.
When will the ad platform integration be fully released?
This functionality is currently in beta. We create betas so we know the final version of the feature will be fit for purpose. Throughout the beta phase we regularly deliver enhanced functionality, leading to full release. We don’t have a timescale to share for full release at this time.
Are there any known limitations?
As the feature is in beta we’ve chosen to launch with the ‘base’ functionality and enhance the offering during the beta phase. Some known limitations:
- Facebook, TikTok, and Google integrations don’t currently support all campaign objectives/types.
- Audience mapping is stronger for some GWI data categories (e.g. Demographics and Behaviors) than others (e.g. Attitudes).
- Where an ad platform contains multiple segments with the same name, e.g. 'sports', users may see more than one appearing as suggestions for the same GWI attribute (see screenshot). Currently there is no way for the user to tell these suggestions apart, and we are working to make this easier.
Why am I seeing an error when pushing an audience to an ad platform?
There are two main types of error users may encounter:
Audience structure not compatible with target platform
Target platforms may not offer the same flexibility in structuring an audience as GWI audience builder does. Specific examples of structure permitted in GWI but not supported in target platforms include:
- Use of OR logic to combine different categories of data, e.g. age ranges OR interests (Meta platforms, Google, and Tiktok)
- Excluded items combined with AND logic (Meta platforms and Google)
- Non-overlapping age ranges, or other demographic definitions combined with AND (Meta platforms and Google)
Situation within target platform
Target platforms may reject audiences when certain scenarios exist, such as problems with campaign or account setup e.g. budgeting or invalid objectives (Meta platforms), or campaign name already in use (Google).
GWI wants to make the process of pushing an audience into your chosen ad platforms as easy as possible - we’re monitoring volume of errors seen, and will shortly roll out new error message content that clearly instructs the user on steps needed to enable the audience to be pushed into the target platform.
Will GWI be adding any other ad platform integrations in the future?
More ad platforms will follow in the future, and we’d love your feedback and requests via our feedback form linked below.
To feedback on the ad platforms beta, please complete this form.