GWI Sports helps you keep up with sports fandom - from attitudes and behaviours to teams and leagues.
The most important things to know about GWI Sports are:
- It’s international
- It’s biannual
- It represents sports fans
- It can be used with GWI Core
- It’s easy to complete
GWI Sports is an international dataset, featuring markets from across the world. Details about the markets included, their annual samples as well as what's covered in the data set can be found in our coverage page.
Like all of our international data sets, GWI Sports is asked identically everywhere, letting you understand and compare audiences internationally. Surveys are shown to respondents in their local language and brand lists are localised to ensure relevance.
GWI Sports runs twice a year. As Sports fandom can be very seasonal, with large tournaments or competition wins dramatically shifting the landscape, you can either combine these two waves for a full year perspective or take a look at the most recent wave for a view on the latest trends.
It represents sports fans
GWI Sport represents internet users aged 16-64 who are ‘sports fans’.
Figuring out exactly what this audience looks like involves a few steps:
- In GWI Core we create an audience of ‘sport fans’ who are invited to take part in GWI Sports, this consists of internet users aged 16-64 who follow at least one sports event or league.
- Before they start the survey respondents are asked if they’re interested in viewing or playing sport. Those that are, qualify.
- By observing the proportion of respondents that qualify from each demographic group and applying this to our original audience in GWI Core, we can calculate exactly how many sports fans GWI Sports represents.
It can be used with GWI Core
GWI Sports respondents have all completed GWI Core (including the Brand & Media module) at some point in the last six months
For example, respondents from Q2 of GWI Sports all completed either Q4 or Q1 of GWI Core.
This means questions can be compared across the two data sets, letting you combine the depth of GWI Sports with the breadth of GWI Core.
Compatible GWI Core questions can be found in the GWI Sports taxonomy in the 'GWI Core folder'.
Not all GWI Core questions can be included as:
- Some may not have been asked in the relevant waves
- Others may have been superseded by the more detailed questions asked in GWI Sports
Also note that audiences from GWI Core will have to be recreated in GWI Sports.
It’s easy to complete
Taking part in GWI Sports is a straightforward process for our respondents because:
- It’s quick to do - completing the survey takes a respondent around 10 minutes
- It’s user friendly - GWI Sports is fielded on our own survey platform, which we designed in-house with the respondent in mind
- It's mobile friendly - respondents can take part where and when suits them best