GWI Gaming helps you understand the world of gaming, from attitudes to devices and services.
The most important things to know about GWI Gaming are:
- It’s international
- It’s biannual
- It represents gamers
- It can be used with GWI Core
- It’s easy to complete
GWI Gaming is an international dataset, featuring markets from across the world. Details about the markets included, their annual samples as well as what's covered in the data set can be found in our coverage page.
Like all of our international data sets, GWI Gaming is asked identically everywhere, letting you understand and compare audiences internationally. Surveys are shown to respondents in their local language and brand lists are localised to ensure relevance.
GWI Gaming runs twice a year. As gaming can be quite a seasonable pastime, you can either combine these two waves for a full year perspective or take a look at the most recent wave for a view on the latest trends.
It represents gamers
GWI gaming represents internet users aged 16-64 who are ‘gamers’.
Figuring out exactly what this audience looks like involves a few steps:
- In GWI Core we create an audience of ‘gamers’ who are invited to take part in GWI Gaming, this consists of internet users aged 16-64 who use at least one device to play games.
- Before they start the survey respondents are asked if they’re interested in gaming or esports. Those that are, qualify.
- By observing the proportion of respondents that qualify from each demographic group and applying this to our original audience in GWI Core, we can calculate exactly how many real world gamers GWI Gaming represents.
Note: This audience isn’t always what you'd expect
A widely held misconception is that gaming, as a hobby, is male dominated. However, this isn’t the case. Although audiences of heavier gamers tend to include more men, there are many more women who play a lot of games than is often assumed.
GWI Gaming doesn’t just represent console and PC gamers. Less visible types of gaming, like handheld and smartphone, make up the majority of gamers, and both of these groups are female dominated.
It can be used with GWI Core
GWI Gaming respondents have all completed GWI Core (including the Brand & Media module) at some point in the last six months
For example, respondents from Q2 of GWI Gaming all completed either Q4 or Q1 of GWI Core.
This means questions can be compared across the two data sets, letting you combine the depth of GWI Gaming with the breadth of GWI Core.
Compatible GWI Core questions can be found in the GWI Gaming taxonomy in the 'GWI Core folder'.
Not all GWI Core questions can be included as:
- Some may not have been asked in the relevant waves
- Others may have been superseded by the more detailed questions asked in GWI Gaming
Also note that audiences from GWI Core will have to be recreated in GWI Gaming.
It’s easy to complete
Taking part in GWI Gaming is a straightforward process for our respondents because:
- It’s quick to do - completing the survey takes a respondent around 10 minutes
- It’s user friendly - GWI Gaming is fielded on our own survey platform, which we designed in-house with the respondent in mind
- It's mobile friendly - respondents can take part where and when suits them best